Guardian Home Opportunities
Every dog deserves the proper attention and love, no matter if they are just a pet or used for breeding. Because of this, we have decided to place the majority of our breeding dogs in guardian homes so that they can receive the proper attention and love they most definitely deserve and not be left feeling neglected. We feel it is important to limit the number of dogs we have here on our premises so that each dog and every puppy that is here gets the proper attention to live a happy life. Every so often we will have a puppy we purchased or a puppy we kept back from one of our litters available for a guardian home. You will be getting one of the best dogs we have to offer at an incredibly discounted rate in exchange for your assistance throughout the breeding lifetime of the dog. Read below to find out more about this opportunity and fill out the application below if you believe you may be a good fit for our guardian home program.
- Guardian must live within a 45 minute drive of breeder's home in Creston, Ohio. (**Exceptions may be made if guardian is willing to drive to us regularly!)
- Legal ownership of the dog (microchip #_____________) remains with the breeder until the dog has produced appropriate number of litters (less for females, more for males) at which time the dog will be spayed or neutered at the expense of the breeder. Full ownership of the dog will then be transferred to the guardian.
- Guardian has no right to puppies produced by this dog or to semen produced by the dog.
Benefits of being a Guardian Home?
Being a guardian home for our breeding program has many perks, as well as responsibilities. We strive for a mutually beneficial relationship between ourselves and our guardian homes. Firstly, the rate you will pay for your puppy is steeply discounted. We only require you to pay a deposit price of $300. Price may increase if the puppy is older than 8 weeks of age and has received additional vet visits or training. You will receive one of the best puppies we can produce or a 'pick of the litter' puppy from another breeder from which we purchase the puppy. We look for quality genetics, personalities and looks in all the dogs we buy to become one of our breeding dogs. Also, we do provide lifetime support for each of these puppies as we want them to be the best they can be. Also, since we do require you to live within a 45 minute drive of our home in Creston, Ohio we extend an the offer for the dog to stay at our home when the family goes out of town and needs to have the dog boarded. This helps us, the guardian dog, and our dogs, to be familiar with one another when it comes time to breed or whelp a litter. Also, when the dog has whelped or fathered an appropriate number of litters, they will be spayed or neutered at no cost to you. Additionally, for those who house female dogs, they will be compensated $250 for each litter the dog has as a "thank you" for your patience while your beloved pet is away.
What would be required of you as a Guardian Home?
- Provide the dog with a safe and loving home, including but not limited to:
- Containing the dog in a fenced-in yard or on a leash
- Provide adequate exercise for the dog to prevent issues such as hip displaysia
- Train the dog on basic commands (sit, stay, wait, etc.) or attend obedience classes
- Feeding the dog an approved high quality food (contact us if you are wanting to switch from what we feed)
- Do not allow him/her to become overweight
- Keep dog socialized with dogs and people of different ages and sizes
- Keep the dog clean and well-groomed
- Provide the dog with basic veterinary care, including but not limited to:
- Yearly wellness visits and vaccines
- Any medical issues the dog may have which are NOT related to breeding
- Emergency vet costs (NOT related to breeding)
- Keeping dog on monthly, year-round preventative medications against heart-worms, fleas and ticks.
- Notify breeder immediately when the female dog has come into her estrus cycle and be prepared to meet breeder upon request when dog is needed for breeding purposes or give dog up for approximately a week during breeding period.
- For female breeding dogs, keep all unapproved intact male dogs away from her when she is in season. For males, keep females who are in season away to prevent accidental breedings.
- If guardian family goes on vacation or out of town for any reason and dog is not sent to breeder's home for duration of the vacation, contact information for kennel and/or pet-sitter should be given to breeder before guardian family departs.
- If dog does not pass certain health tests and is deemed by breeder to be unfit to reproduce, the dog will then be spayed or neutered at the expense of the breeder. Guardian will not be required to pay any fee for the dog in this event.
- Guardian agrees to maintain this contract even if they relocate out of the area, including flying the dog back to the breeder at the expense of the guardian.
- Guardian agrees to keep in close contact with breeder, regularly sending photos of dog and gives clearance to breeder to use any photos sent for marketing purposes (social media, website, etc.)
- Deliver dog to vet appointments for breeding purposes at times breeder is out of town. Will be set up at least 48 hours in advance.
- Should the dog die early of natural causes, this contract shall terminate. If the dog dies while in possession of the breeder, dog shall be replaced with a puppy from Steindoodles next available litter.
- If at any time the breeder finds the guardian to be non-compliant, the dog shall return to breeder immediately.
- If the dog is altered OR bred purposefully without written consent of the breeder, guardian will owe breeder a sum of $30,000. Any legal costs involved with obtaining this payment will also be paid by guardian.
- Allow dog to make regular visits to breeder's home and/or visit with other members of Steindoodles in-home breeding dogs.
What would be required of us, The Breeder?
- Provide guardian with a healthy puppy.
- Pay any veterinary costs associated with breeding, including but not limited to:
- Progesterone testing
- Necessary health testing
- Spay or neuter the dog when they are deemed no longer needed for breeding, be it because of age or health standards required for breeding.
- Provide lifetime support for the dog.
- Try to board dog at our home when guardian family is out of town.
- Assist guardian with detecting and caring for a female dog in estrus cycle or pregnant.
- Pay for the spay or neuter of the dog when it is no longer needed for reproductive purposes.
- If guardian dog is a dog bred by Steindoodles and it is determined that it shall be spayed or neutered before being bred, breeder will comply with health contract given with each of our puppies. If guardian dog is from another kennel, the health contract from that kennel will apply.